May issue

May issue
May issue

Tuesday 1 February 2011

Scratching post

Bailey, my three-year-old chocolate Lab, has wet eczema on his face. He is already taking piriton for a separate matter - because he is allergic to several types of tree and has very sensitive skin. We have been giving him monthly autoimmune injections too and last week the vet gave him a steroid, which was a last resort and we didn’t really want to give it to him. I don’t want to keep pumping him full of different things because he is so sensitive. A friend has suggested evening primrose oil may help but if anyone has any suggestions of anything else I can try for both Bailey’s wet eczema and his hayfever (and other allergies which are bound to appear!) I’d be really grateful as he just looks so sad! Thanks very much.
Dianne Woodrow, Camberley

Richard Allport, alternative vet, advises:

It’s certainly very worrying when a three-year-old dog has already had to have an anti histamine (Piriton), hyposensitization injections, and now steroids – all these treatments can have side effects and all tend to work less well with time, in my experience, and/or new allergies develop that don’t respond.

I would strongly advise you ask your vet to refer you to a vet using holistic therapies such as homoeopathy and herbal medicine, in the meantime I’d expect the following supplements to help any dog of a similar size with these symptoms:

Vitamin E 1000iu daily
Royal Jelly 500mg daily
Fish Liver Oil 1000mg daily
Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg daily
Dermagel (herbal gel) – apply to any sore area of skin twice daily
Kelp (Iodine) sufficient to give equivalent of 600 micrograms of Iodine daily
Zinc 15mg daily

These will all help general health and vitality too.

Finally look at diet – preferably give my old standby, a raw meaty bone based diet; if you don’t want to make your own up, use a company like Darlings (www.darlingsrealdogfood.com) that provide ready-made balanced raw food diets. If not, choose a diet that is low in carbohydrate, definitely wheat-free and preferably organic, such as Lily’s Kitchen (www.lilyskitchen.co.uk). Again, not only is the allergic problem likely to be less evident, but Bailey will be happier and healthier all round.

If you would like any more information on any of the supplements mentioned do contact me on info@naturalmedicinecentre.net. I do hope Bailey manages to keep off those steroids in the future!



2 comments:

  1. Chocolate labs are accident & illness prone.
    I had one,(Meg) for 11 1/2 years I loved beyond words but she was the most illness and acident prone dog I have ever known. She lived on steroids which, I have have no doubt, shortend her life. But they gave her quality of life. She could ignore her numerous allergies and arthritis and enjoy her life. Given her time again I would do the same. Let your dog enjoy his life with the help of drugs. Cry when he has gone but know he enjoyed himself to the full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dianne, does Bailey like Marmite? I know this probably sounds silly but its so full of B vitamins that its great for skin conditions. One of my Jack Russell boys used to be on Piriton for 'summer itch' on his feet when certain pollens were about, but a bit of Marmite smeared on a Bonio worked much better! I don't know if you've ever heard of 'Sweet Itch' in horses, but its a horrible tormenting thing for them to suffer with. They scratch til they bleed and cause open weeping sores. Well, I know of a pony with this problem who has been almost cured by eating a Marmite sandwich every day! Its a long shot, and Bailey might be a 'Marmite hater' but its worth a try. Good Luck, Sara M

    ReplyDelete