May issue

May issue
May issue

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Bundle of nerves

Dear Dogs Today,

My 10-month-old Yorkie has terrible separation anxiety. I’ve had her since she was 7.5 weeks old and I understand now that she was too young to be taken from her mother. She follows me around the house, cries when I crate her at night and howls non-stop when I go out the house.

I’ve tried a DAP diffuser, medication from the vets and herbal medication from the pet shop as well as ignoring her when she cries but nothing helps. Last night she cried for six hours and I was so exhausted I let her into my bed so myself and everyone in the house could sleep.

The only time she relaxes without me there is when another dog is with her but I’m not currently in a good situation to buy a second dog. I really hope someone can help as it’s affecting my life. I’m not sure whether she’s doing it because she’s miserable or to control me?

Whichever it is, it needs to stop.

Maria, London, by email



1 comment:

  1. There is no one size fits all answer for this issue. You really need some help from a good behaviourist that uses positive methods. I would seek help now while your dog is young. I don't know where about's in London you are but it's worth looking up a lady called Winkie Spiers who is also in London. I know her methods are kind and if she is too far away I'm sure she can point you in the right direction.

    Lucy Parker, Dog Behaviourist, Staffordshire

    ReplyDelete