May issue

May issue
May issue

Friday 23 March 2012

Daily dose?

Hi,

My dog has recently been diagnosed with benign tumours under his tongue and on his soft palate. I am keen to start giving him Selenium plus vitamins A, C and E. However, I am unsure about dosage and where to buy a low dosage, as mostly all I can find on the net are human dosages of about 200mcg.

I did read somewhere on the net that for a dog you should give 1-2 mcg per lb of body weight. My terrier is 11kg (24lbs) so I am thinking I need about 24-48mcg of Selenium for him daily. I can’t find an amount this low that also includes Vits A, C and E.

Another concern is whether Selenium would interact with other drugs he is taking. He is taking steroids by injection every other day (to try to reduce tumour inflammation) and doxycycline twice a day for Ehrlichiosis. So I don’t want to give him anything that may interfere with those.

Can anyone help with dosage (is that dosage information accurate?) or where to buy low doses of Selenium plus Vits ACE online please?

Thank you.

Jenny, by email


NB: Selenium is not a prescription drug


Richard Allport, vet, advises...

Jenny, your choice of the mineral Selenium and Vitamins A, C and E is a good one – these are all powerful anti oxidants that are helpful in treating cancer (of course you might want to consider other medicines such as CV247, Coriolus, homoeopathic medicines and so on, but that’s another story!)

Re dosage – it is hard to find a reliable guide to dosages of any of these supplements for dogs. It is true that Selenium can potentially be harmful if given in overdose, but I have never come across a case of toxicity.

There is (or used to be) an authorised supplement for dogs available in the USA called Selotoc, which contains Vitamin E and Selenium. The suggested dosage for this product is 500 micrograms of Selenium and 34 iu of vitamin E per 10lbs bodyweight. However, AAFCO (the American Association of Feed Control Officials) guidelines state a maximum of 570 micrograms of Selenium a day for any size dog is advisable, so as you can see advice varies!

The supplement I use contains (per tablet)

200 micrograms Selenium

400 micrograms Vitamin A

24 milligrams Vitamin E

80 milligrams of Vitamin C

I give this at a dose rate of one tablet daily for dogs up to 20 kg bodyweight, and two tablets daily for dogs over 20 kg. Using these dosages I have seen no adverse effects and a very positive beneficial effect. As far as I’m aware there is no risk of Selenium interacting adversely with any other product, natural or pharmaceutical.

If you’d like more information on this or other treatments for cancer, do e mail me at info@naturalmedicinecentre.net.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Richard, you are always so kind and helpful. I have your forms from when we last spoke. Not sure if you recall but we had no idea back then what was wrong with Berkeley. Now we do so I am happy to go ahead with some holistic treatment. I will drop you an email :-)

    ReplyDelete