May issue

May issue
May issue

Monday, 16 September 2013

Nut to crack

Is peanut butter OK for dogs? Are both types (smooth and crunchy) OK? And are actual peanuts OK, or are they harmful in any way?


Summer Clark, age 12

Nicola Bates, scientist at the Veterinary Poisons Information Service, advises...

There is not very much information on peanuts in dogs. We at the Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS) have had some enquiries. Many dogs remain well but some develop vomiting, diarrhoea and tummy discomfort. We have a few cases where the dogs have developed convulsions after ingestion of (mostly) salted peanuts and this is probably due to salt toxicity. Other dogs have eaten peanuts left out for the birds that have gone mouldy. This can also cause convulsions (this is due to the mould). We only have one case of peanut butter ingestion and that dog appears to have developed an allergic reaction. There is also the risk of choking and blockage of the gut if a large quantity is eaten. On balance I think it would be best not to give dogs peanuts and peanut products. Chocolate covered peanuts are also available and they should definitely not be given to dogs because of the risk of chocolate toxicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment