May issue

May issue
May issue

Wednesday 3 March 2010

She'll never walk alone with me

My wife (Ann) and I got a puppy in September 2008. She is a Labrador-Springer Spaniel cross, very energetic and intelligent. The problem is that she will not walk with me on my own.
Ann does not work and so Daisy is with her all day. I am first up in the morning and feed and groom her and let her into the garden to relieve herself before going to work. I have trained her to do basic obedience in the house and the back garden. Daisy will retrieve and will drop a ball for me (most of the time) whereas she is more reluctant with my wife. She will play with both of us in the park with a ball or stick. She will come and lie on either or both of us in the evening whilst we watch the TV.
When I take her out of the door on a lead, she will go a few yards, then look round and look for Ann. If she is not coming, Daisy's head goes down, she stops, put her paws down at an angle and refuses to move forward. Even dragging her a bit or giving her treats will only get me a few yards.
If we go out together, I can have the lead and she will happily walk. If my wife walks at the front and I follow 20 yards behind, that is also fine. If we go to the supermarket, she will happily walk round quite a large carpark a couple of times until Ann comes out of the shop.
We have tried Ann walking behind us and then dropping off down a side road or doing the same in front. Each time Daisy notices that this has happened she refuses to move.
We would both love to find out what I have done or not done to cause this problem.
Bob Davies, by email

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,
    I'm sure it's nothing you have or haven't done.
    It sounds to me like Daisy is too attached to Ann. I take it she walks ok with Ann when you're not there?
    I would try getting Ann to spend less time with Daisy, or less quality time at least, maybe she could pay Daisy less attention, leaving the way clear for you.
    Hopefully after a few days of boredom Daisy should look forward to you taking her out. Try both taking her together but Ann ignoring Daisy, not fussing her or anything, building up to short walks with just you & Daisy, then longer walks if she doesn't object. Personally I wouldn't try & persuade her to continue the walk if she dug her heels in, I would just end it.

    By the way - please don't play with a stick with Daisy, there have been some terrible injuries, even deaths from dogs getting a stick impaled in their throat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob
    Daisy sounds just like my former dog, who was very attached to me and would be reluctant to go for a walk with my partner, especially if it meant leaving me in the house.
    He would lie down once inside the park, which is across the road from our house, and refuse to move. My partner then had to return home with him.
    But he was fine with my partner on the two days I was out at work, then once I was back at home he devoted himself to me again.
    I agree with everything Chapstaff says. We did that. I tried to pay less attention to him while my partner used to play with the him and spend more time with him.
    He did remain devoted to me but things improved as he got older and my partner was able after a bit to take him for a proper walk.
    I'm sure things will improve with time, although she may well always prefer Ann.
    Julia Lewis

    ReplyDelete