May issue

May issue
May issue

Friday 19 March 2010

Bassets eating all sorts....!

I have three Basset Hound's, Daisy aged nearly 11, Obi aged one and Wellington aged five months. I have a problem in that Obi & now Wellington eat Daisy's poo (nice eh?). They don't eat each others it is just Daisy - they are driving me insane!.
I have spoken to the vet and they said it is habit and a hard one to break, I have tried feeding Daisy Pineapple as this I'm told makes the faeces taste horrible (which I find rather ironic that we need to make it taste vile). I have tried shouting at the other 2 (which I hate doing, but I also hate seeing them do it) & I have covered the faeces in very hot chili sauce to stop them eating it (worked for a while). I have also changed Daisy's food, but Nothing works.
I am now at the stage where I go outside with Daisy every time she goes out so I can clear up immediately giving the other 2 no opportunity to get it. This is a nuisance as I am always conscious & watching when they are all outside in the garden playing.
I don't know what else to do - the vet assures me that to them it is not dirty, sometimes a sign of a clean dog & I have done a little research into this and all sorts of things can cause it as I'm sure you know - in this case I think it is a pack dominance issue as Daisy is very much in charge of them both. Wellington didn't used to do it but of course he has copied Obi.
The only thing I can think of trying is putting cayenne (not sure how this is spelt) pepper to see if that stops them and using a water spray when they go for it. I've even thought of buying muzzles for Obi & Welly so they can't get it to see if this would break the habit they have got into. It isn't possible to segregate the garden so Daisy can be left alone - although believe me I've thought about it!. Daisy get's quite distressed about it as you can imagine and a couple of times she has stopped herself going to the toilet which is not good.
I know that dogs are very food motivated, basset's especially, but the minute I try & distract Obi & Welly with a biscuit Daisy stops what she is doing and comes over for a treat to so that doesn't work.
I would appreciate any help & advice, I know dogs eat vile things and that's just normal to them, but this is obsessive and they follow her around which annoys her & me!. I really want to be able to leave the dogs in the garden without watching all the time.
Any advice gratefully received!
Many Thanks
Kind Regards
Jayne Bradshaw

2 comments:

  1. You don't say how your dogs are fed but copraphagia is seldom seen in dogs fed on a raw diet, as most if not all nutrients are absorbed on the way through, whereas with commercially fed dogs the poo is often more bulky & smelly , due to poor absorption of nutrients. Would suggest more raw foods, and daily meaty bones. Try reading Healthy Food For Cats and Dogs by Clare Middle, 0r get advice from www.canine-health-concern.org.uk
    Doreen Simpkins www.haveahappyhound.co.uk and www.happyhoundgrooming.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not just raw food which can make a difference. A high-quality commercial food fed sparingly can be effective. I disagree with your vet that this is somehow OK and natural. Coprophagia is an example of depraved appetite which is a pahtological state albeit not major.
    It is not just raw food which can make a difference. A high-quality commercial food fed sparingly can also be effective. A low feeding amount of a whole-grain based diet which is low protein and fat can be effective too.
    John Burns BVMS MRCVS
    Burns pet Nutrition

    ReplyDelete