May issue

May issue
May issue

Wednesday 11 March 2009

A mitey big problem

I am appealing to you for herbal help with the problems my French Bulldog bitch has with Demodex. I have great faith in my own conventional vet, but he admits that he has no training in herbal advice and I understand that the drug he is using for her shampoo will kill the dog before it completely eradicates the mites causing the Demodex. It can only be kept under control until the next time the mites cause the dog further irritation, when a further session of drug baths will again be necessary. She is not yet three years old and has just completed her third session of weekly baths, eight the first and second time, and six each of the third and last time. The first of each session involved an anasethetic to enable a scrape to be made and count the mites in the blood sample taken.
My vet advised me that Demodex is inherited from the mother, either as a sufferer or carrier so I wrote to the breeder and received a letter back stating that their bitch did not suffer from anything and they did not know anything about the sire!
Why is her natural immune system not coping with this problem? If you can cure this Demodex with a herbal remedy I should be very grateful for your help.
Helen Hastings, Northumberland

A mitey big problem
It is impossible to prove but I believe that improving the general diet can provide a less hospitable environment for the mites and boost the ability of the body to kill them off. A diet based on whole grains, low in fat and protein and fed as sparingly as possible can be helpful.
John Burns, Burns Pet Nutrition.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Helen
    Leigh Smyth here.....you may already know that I work with animals using essential oils, herbs and other natural remedies....I have some experience of helping dogs suffering with demodex mites, and although I can't ever guarantee anything, would be happy to give it a go. If you'd like more info, have a look at my web site for explantaions of how I work, but in a nutshell, I'd be looking for ways to ; soothe his skin and releive any discomfort/ itching, boost his immune system, and deal with any emotional upset caused by the itching etc...
    As we're both in Northumberland I could come out and see him if you'd like.....let me know(sorry I can't recommend any one particular herbal remedy..the way I work finds the particular remdy suitanble for the animal in question, taking into account his or her complete needs)

    best wishes
    Leigh Smyth of Essentials for Equilibrium

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a great product on the market called Ruggle-it - I think the website is www.Karenruggles.co.uk. It is a completely natural product consisting of a shampoo and oil. They don't contain any chemicals at all and are very versatile. The website says they can be used for about 18 different problems and on all kinds of animals, not just dogs - even humans can use it. I know mites are one of the issues mentioned in some of the testimonials on the website that Ruggle-it has successfully helped with, although I have used it on my in-law's Jack Russell, my cats, myself and a friend's horse for various other problems (sore paws through chewing, cut pad, dry skin, mud fever and sweet itch). Karen Ruggles who makes the product was extremely helpful when I rang her to order and has a vast amount of knowledge, so I would suggest giving her a call. Don't have the number to hand but it is on the website.

    ReplyDelete