May issue

May issue
May issue

Tuesday 10 August 2010

Help for a grieving dog

Dear Beverley and Think Tank contributors
Can anyone give an advice for a Westie who has recently (Tuesday this week) lost her lifelong companion? My friend and her husband had two Westies,(both females) and the older has just died aged almost 19. She was definitely the boss. Her companion dog (aged approx 7-8) has been with her for all of her life and is apparently quite depressed at home (though still eating and drinking okay) and searches for her old friend, especially in the morning when she used to go and jump on her to wake her up and the pair of them used to have a tussle and play round the garden. My friend is not sure whether to remove the other dog's bed yet or just leave it as will still smell of her and may comfort the remaining dog.
I had been taking both dogs out for walks daily as my friend and her husband work full time - and I am not bringing the remaining dog home with me and my two dogs so that she is not left home alone for too long. When she was with me today she seemed quite happy, but there is nothing here which would be a reminder of her old friend.H
I know that most dogs do eventually adjust to a new life without a previous companion and it is important that we do not mollycoddle her as this will reinforce her feelings of something being wrong. However, any pointers and advice from contributors who have had to deal with a similar situation would be helpful.

Many thanks
Fiona McLean

2 comments:

  1. Just noticed a typo - 2nd line, 2nd para should read 'and I am NOW bringing the remaining dog home with me and my two dogs so that she is not left home alone for too long'
    Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw your post today. Sorry about the loss of your friend's dog. 19 years is a good life, though we can never have them enough. Dogs do go though the grieving process and many times don't eat for considerable periods. In this case the dog is eating and drinking and will over a period of time gradually come out. They generally do take 3 to 4 months to come out and this is my assesment but I am no expert. Speaking from little bit of experience. If the problem persists you might have to consult a professional.

    ReplyDelete