May issue

May issue
May issue

Friday 25 June 2010

Not eating, but sleeping a lot

I have a 12 month old Cavalier who just will not eat and she sleeps a lot, the vet says there is nothing wrong with her and when she is running round on her walks I would agree. But I really am worried because she eats little and dog food she won't touch we have tried just about every food on the market. She like to eat what we eat if she gets chance but I am against this I have never had a problem with getting a dog to eat before and this is worrying me, I had my doubts when I brought her and she had to be spayed when she was still very young for health reason. She gives the impression she had to fight to get any food as a puppy and I wonder if her behaviour could be psychological.
I know she misses our old dog because when she sees a German Shepherd she automatically goes up to them as if it was our old boy. I can't afford to get another dog but wonder if this also could be the problem as she ate fairly well before we lost him. The strange thing is though she has not lost weight through not eating. Do any of your readers have any ideas.
Mrs Rose Tyrrell, Coventry

5 comments:

  1. If she's not lost weight, perhaps she's eating as much as she needs to? So many dogs are overweight it can be hard to tell what a normal dog should look like and how little a small dog should eat.

    Stick to one food, leave it down all the time if that makes you feel better, although keep it in a cool place and change it twice a day. She'll eat what she needs to.

    If she ate more while you had two dogs, are you absolutely sure it was her eating larger amounts, and not your other dog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mina on this in that your dog is eating enough for her needs (but not yours!). I don't think it is a good idea to leave food down all the time. Have one meal time in the day -evening is better as she will be hungrier then and just offer avery small meal.And stop worrying.
    John Burns BVMS MRCVS
    Burns Pet Nutrition

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annaloveswhippets23 July 2010 at 12:12

    This happened to my Cavalier for a while though my vet told me: In the wild dogs/wolves would eat four times a week, so don't be too bothered if they aren't eating a whole lot everyday as it is only natural for dogs not to eat everyday. Having said that my Parson Russell Terrier Fitz would eat a bucket full of food everyday, of course I wouldn't let him but I wouldn't worry about it, he will eat when he is hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i got a beagle puppy on sunday and she ate quite a bit sunday when igot her then wefound 3huge ticks on her got them all pulled off gave her abath and shes been playful some like twice a day she will get playful otherthan that since monday all she has done is lay around and sleep on me wants to be super close to someone and just sleep her nose has been staying dry and shes not eating or drinking much at all but she is going to the bathroom regularly. anything to be worried about?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, maybe you should feed your dog chicken and rice, but make sure that it's not a whole chicken. That's what we did for our dog and it really worked!

    ReplyDelete