May issue

May issue
May issue

Tuesday 8 June 2010

Feeding frenzy

My Springer is such a gannet. Food rules Betty's life, yet it's gone in seconds. I feed dry food and I've tried stuffing her Kongs with her dinner but she's so incredibly speedy at kibble removal that I need something more challenging to make the highlight of her day last a little bit longer! Any suggestions?
Mandy Michelmore, Camberley

We've just heard about a new addition to the Kong range that seems to be made with Betty in mind! The Wobbler. Here's a video of a Pug playing with one so you'll get an idea of scale, and what is so different about this toy as in the above photo it looks much like a normal Kong. Only just launched this month. Can't wait to try it out (hint hint!) You Tube is full of people testing this toy. Have included another for your amusement!

Beverley Cuddy, Editor






5 comments:

  1. I know the feeling, my terrier often finishes before I've even taken a step away from the bowl! When I fed dried food I stuffed it in the kong (I needed three of the small size for his amount of food), soaked them in water and froze them.

    If you've only got one dog, I'd scatter it in the garden. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A12737586 Here's one I wrote earlier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing... Do you have the actual dimensions of the Kong Wobbler? My dogs can't use it (I'm gonna assume I can't use it with raw meat) but my bunnies will find that fun! They worked out the treat ball in no time at all, I need something harder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many treat balls and toys on the market that can slow down a speedy eater. I advise splitting the meal into several such toys! My particular recommendation at the moment is the Busy Buddy 'Tug a Jug' which will challenge even the most devoted kibble addict. It is bottle shaped, made from very strong clear plastic and unscrews at the end which means it is very easy and quick to fill, unlike most treat balls. The dog has to pull on the tug rope to remove the kibble. If the tug rope ever gets pulled out of the toy, I put a tennis ball inside instead, to act as a valve. I have had one of these toys for a very greedy Retriever for several years and it is still going strong.
    You can also buy bowls which are specially made with a raised plastic insert, to slow a dog down and prevent it 'hoovering' the food. Another favourite tip of mine is to break the kibble down into smaller portions and use some of these for training throughout the day. This way, you get a satisfied and well trained dog - two for the price of one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stuffing a Kong but sticking the treats inside with marmite or something similar works really well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic videos, looks perfect for Betty.
    Is it only available in the one size?

    Sadly it wouldn't be suitable for my Stafford, as she would get really frustrated with it & no doubt trap it in a corner & enlarge the hole like she does with the black umm ....
    "indestructible?" Kong

    ReplyDelete