May issue

May issue
May issue

Wednesday 30 June 2010

Can you turn back the hands of time?

It only seems a blink of the eye since my lovely Poppy was a pup, but there's no denying that she's getting old.
I'm usually a realist, I don't buy myself the really expensive face creams but I'd pay almost anything to try to keep Poppy young!
Has anyone tried anything that has genuinely put a spring back into their old dogs step?
Henrietta Newman, Kent

Hi Henrietta
When my old Sal started to show her age I tried everything - but that was a long time ago. A couple of things really stood out.
Vivitonin (prescription only) really was a miracle drug - but it's not cheap. When she died at 16 Sal had the coat and muscle condition of a very much younger dog. Vivitonin was developed as a heart drug originally but as it puts the spring back into the red blood cells it really does seem to liven up every bit of the dog. You can normally see if there's going to be an effect in a couple of weeks. I was once told that in Japan it was being used on humans as an Alzheimer preventative.
The other thing that really made a difference to Sal's quality of life was a supplement called Runaround (from www.doghealth.co.uk). I was carrying Sally up and down the stairs at work before I started using that, really amazing results. I know our readers who had a free trial of it at that time had great results, too
What have others tried? Any wonder stuff been discovered in the last decade?
Beverley Cuddy, Editor

2 comments:

  1. Hi Henrietta
    I may not be able to comment as I own a company that sells 'pure probiotics' but you may find them of interest on www.karenruggles.co.uk. Don't believe me but do read the testimonials on the Probiotics and/or Omega 3 sections.
    * Feed proper 'pure' probiotics - optimise the body's engine.
    * Bolster Omega 3 (not 6) - see section on web for why this is so vital...the UK is still not really understanding the severity of this 'deficiency'...and so many so-called OM3 products are not what they seem.
    * Feed a mixture of selected wet feeds as well as dry (if you feed RAW then ignore this bit!) - see the Ruggle-it "Diet" section.
    Good health comes from the body's ability to work optimally...so our ethos is nourish the key engine components, and many other elements can then take care of themselves.
    Old age will never go away...but we can at least try to give the body a 'good walking stick'!
    Hope that helps....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 15 year old lurcher and a thirteen year old whippet. Both have fussy appetites and I give them Ultimate nutrition which is a true food and has 46 nutrients. Its also recommended by Nick Thompson the Vet. Ive been using it for some while now and really noticed a difference in my oldies. Certainly put a spring back in both their steps. Its from a company called higher nature and costs about 11.85. for 90 tabs. Depending on the size of your dog on how long the tub will last. Can thoroughly recommend not only the product but the company.

    ReplyDelete