May issue

May issue
May issue

Tuesday 6 April 2010

What's the leading reading?

Hi
We are getting a rescue pup in a few weeks and as it is 14 years since we trained a pup, I wondered if you could recommend the latest and best puppy training book.
Thanks
Krista Barzee (one of your subscribers)

Hi Krista
I'm going to recommend Dr Ian Dunbar's amazing books. They are just perfect and what is even more amazing is they can be free! You can buy them, too - much better having a proper printed version - click here - as they are great to refer to, but you can get them on instant download for nothing more than the price of your own ink cartridges from the excellent website Dog Star Daily.
You need to read Before You Get Your Puppy and After You Get Your Puppy.
The house training section is the best I have ever read and is reprinted in our how to have the perfect pup. And everyone should read the bite inhibition section, too - we had to put that in our book too, so sensible!
I'm sure others will have their favourite books to recommend, but Ian gets it just right in these two books. To the point but very entertainingly written and giving you exactly what you need to know, exactly when you need it!
My last two pups were brought up via this method and I can report that the house training was errorless and stress free!
Good luck with your pup!
Best wishes
Beverley, Editor, Dogs Today

2 comments:

  1. Hi Krista, I loved Gwen Bailey's "The Perfect Puppy" If you only read one book this has to be it. Although I first bought it some years ago it is still bang up to date.

    Good luck & well done for choosing a rescue puppy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi thanks for suggestions. I have bought a copy of Ian Dunbar's book and am working my way through that, have got a copy of Gwen Bailey's book, which I lent to someone a while ago and have just got back, so will be reading that as well. We are picking up pup on the 27th April, his brother, sisters and mum have all found homes as well.Please look at the valgrays border collie rescue website where you can see pups and other dogs needing homes.

    thanks again

    Krista

    ReplyDelete