May issue

May issue
May issue

Saturday 9 January 2010

Would love good gloves!

My collie loves to play fetch, and I always take a ball or Frisbee on our walks. At the moment though it's so cold, the Frisbee actually gets coated in ice! I'm in danger of getting frostbite throwing it. I have loads of pairs of gloves, wool, leather, synthetic – you name it, I've tried them. But the toy is so wet that before long my hands are damp and cold. My husband bought me a pair of waterproof mittens but they are so thick and unwieldy I can't even hold a lead while wearing them, let alone throw a toy. Please help before my fingers fall off!
Sue Chandler, Tunbridge Wells

I know exactly what you mean! Santa brought me a wonderful pair of gloves made by Sealskinz – www.sealskinz.com. They do a huge range, and yes, some are too thick for this purpose. I have just checked mine and they are the Versatility Glove – they are thick enough to keep my hands warm, but thin enough to enable me to pick up a toy or put on a lead. They are fully waterproof, and my hands stay really cosy in them. Pricey, but well worth it.
Christine Bailey, Dogs Today

2 comments:

  1. Waterproof fleece gloves are really good. You can get some from Robinsons which is a horse online store, but they're easy enough to still move your fingers in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're using a ball then a "Chuck-it" or other similar ball throwing device is a brilliant investment! I can throw a ball for hours in snow, sand, water, anything! I don't even have to touch it and can throw it really far with a minimum of effort.

    I know Pets at Home sell a similar device for throwing frisbees, but I don't know how well it works.

    ReplyDelete