May issue

May issue
May issue

Friday 22 January 2010

Growing old gracefully

I have a Border Collie bitch who is nearly 10 years old, and I have recently noticed that her tail has lost some of its bushiness, especially around the base. Is this normal as a dog ages?
She is fed a raw chicken wing every morning and a scoop of Burns every evening, sometimes with added meat and veg. Should I supplement her diet in any way to help her cope with the ageing process?
She is spayed and weighs 15kg so is quite a small collie. She has so far shown no signs of athritis and is happy and active.
Mrs V Garrad, by email

2 comments:

  1. Christine Bailey25 January 2010 at 08:20

    I have noticed my own collie's coat has improved markedly with the addition of salmon oil to his meals - well worth a try. I use Kronch, and get it from a company called swallowhealthydiet.com, though I'm sure there are other stockists. It improves the condition of the coat, so might have an effect on the growth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As your dog ages, less food is needed.As you are already feeding Burns you might think of reducing the daily amount of Burns or stopping the additional chicken. Like you I have ageing small Collie who is now 14. Although yours weighs 15 kg it is likely that around 100 gr a day of Burns should suffice, that's without the chicken.
    Best wishes
    John Burns BVMS MRCVS
    Burns Pet Nutrition

    ReplyDelete