May issue

May issue
May issue

Friday 20 February 2009

Heavy price to pay

I had to change vets recently due to having no transport to travel to the practice I have used for 20 years, which is 10 miles away.
The medical records were transferred for my dog Millie who has a heart problem. She has been taking Fortekor 5mg, for which I have been paying £26.54 for 28 tablets. After a consultation (as a new patient) I was given the usual tablets but was charged over £42 for them. When I questioned the price difference I was told that this was the price they were charged from their supplier. I explained I would find it difficult to afford this price and she then said that perhaps they could do a 'deal' and suggested £31.50.
Is it a common thing for medication to vary so much in price between different vets? I find it quite shocking.
Deborah Lyons, Leicester

2 comments:

  1. It is illegal for businesses to fix or agree prices for goods and services. This includes vets. Like everything else you may care to shop around. Just remember that price isn't everything. Quality of service and support are also important.
    John Burns BVMS MRCVS

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Fortekor pricing is a little strange. It comes in 5, 10 and 20 mg doses. My dog was on 10 mg a day. So I had a 14 pack of Fortekor 20 mg which broke in half so worked out around £1 a day. Similar for you original price but twice as strong.

    See what the Fortekor 10 mg price is and give half a tablet a day. Also see about check ups. The dog will have to be seen about every 3 months. Sometimes this is included in the cost of the medicines. You pay for tablets but the check up fee is included.

    ReplyDelete