May issue

May issue
May issue

Monday 17 November 2008

Rocky and Rambo on the rampage

Rocky

Rambo
I have had three behaviourists advise three different things about my dogs. One even said to put them on sleeping pills during the day!
I have two boys. Rocky is six and Rambo is five. I've had them both since they were 12 weeks old. I had a few problems with chewing but over come that and I think them being neutered helped. Over the last few months they have trashed my house each day when I leave them, whether for a few minutes or hours. Nothing has changed. We have the same routine as ever. No change of food either. I took them to the vet and they are in good health. I have to lock them in my kitchen and barricade the door so they can’t enter the main house or go upstairs. They have cost me over £3,000 in replacement carpets, walls, sofas…you name it, we've replaced it. I bought a Staff cage but they broke out and cut themselves - (they were okay, I took them to the vet).
I tried another cage but again they broke out of that.
Can you suggest anything that can help me and my boys?
They are so loving and great with people & kids. I love them so much, so why do they hate me?
Mrs Tania Day

Some more info from Tania:
I asked Tania some more questions after the first comment requesting more details . I asked if her neighbours say her dogs bark much while she's out - I guess I wondered if they did bark someone might be winding them up by shouting at them to be quiet. I asked how long they are left, what they are like when she returns and what the three behaviourists had said. If you want to know more, please do post a comment.

Dear Beverley
No they do not bark at all. Not sure if they enjoy wrecking as I'm not there to see, but when I get home the are very sheepish and go into a corner - as if they know they have done wrong,
I don't smack them at all , once I said "Who did that?" and they both wet themselves.
I have now employed a dog walker, so I take them at 0600hrs for 30 mins, she comes in during the day for 1 hour, then I take them again at night. This has helped, in the fact they are not chewing the walls anymore, but now they chew the kitchen chairs and are scratching the flooring, looks like a war zone. I paid over £400 for an iron gate to stop them from getting into the living area which works.
One behaviourist said a plug in spray would help - the smell reminds them of their mother!
Another said something on the lines of Prozac for dogs - which is a no no. Another said don't leave them alone - hence dog walker and my elderly neighbour who goes in four or five times a day to let them out and play. When someone is with them it's like butter would not melt... left alone they are devil dogs from hell
They continue to chew. I spoke to a Kennel they want over £110 per week to have them 0800-1800 these days that a lot of money .
I am still at my wits end - any help will be great.
Tania

I have to say I'm getting involved now and can't help asking more questions myself - here's my latest email to Tania who is having trouble getting on this site - she says it comes up in German. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hi Tania
Do the two dogs play together – I have two dogs also a year apart in age and they play together all the time, like pups. Could chewing have become a communal game – and could you replace it with one which is even more rewarding?
What is their relationship like – is one in charge or not? What are they like with other dogs and other people? Are they always confident or are they ever fearful?
When you are home do they follow you from room to room and even to the loo? If so does one do this more than another?
Have you tried leaving them stuffed Kongs? Chewing something that tastes nice may be more fun that chewing a chair. The neighbour could bring a fresh couple in for example. There is an art in stuffing a Kong – use something to die-for and stinky squashed into the top – for eg bacon or chicken skin, then wedge in bigger biscuits that are hard to get out and then fill up with smaller bits of kibble or treats that will spill out easily without too much effort. You can use cheese, peanut butter, liver cakes - cat food even, you can even use tasty liquids and freeze them, so the dog has to lick them for hours to get the treats out.
You can also get a device that releases a new stuffed Kong every hour or so on a timer – although with two dogs you might find you have to separate them if they are going to be competitive over food.
Do they behave well at night – do they sleep in the kitchen? Do you leave on some background noise when you are out, a TV etc so it feels like you are home even if you’re not.
Do the dogs ever lose their housetraining when left?
Are they exercised off leash – do they ever get tired by exercise or are they always still raring to go when you get home?
What do you feed them? Have you tried changing the diet at all? Are they fed once a day or more?
Sorry to ask so many questions!
Cheers
Beverley

Hi Beverley
They are so close, always together. Rambo is the leader, they eat together. All the years I have had them they have never had a fight.
They are great with people and children. Rocky is ok with other dogs really, he just ignores them. Rambo will ignore them to until they come over to him or Rocky or me, then he lets them know to go away. He has never bitten anyone or a dog, we walk at night with another dog
but we walk behind, after a few minutes he is fine. They are always confident unless they have done wrong then they cower down.
Yes when I am home they follow me everywhere loo, bath etc. Rambo is the one who will come with me, then minutes later Rocky will be there not sure if he follows Rambo or me.
Each day I stuff Kongs with treats, cream cheese bacon ham chicken, Neither of them are foodies, they have one each.
Rocky will chew on a treat, Rambo you have to break up small or he will leave it, he will not have a bone, where as Rocky will.
Rambo likes small bite size things where Rocky will chew for hours if I let him - he swallows big chunks, then I have to help him get it unstuck from his throat so I don't leave him alone when he has one. They are not competitive for food If Rocky has something he will either take it to Rambo or if Rambo wants it he will just walk away.
They are so good when I'm home, they sleep in my bedroom on a massive pillow I cant trust them alone downstairs. During the day I leave a the radio on, not too loud. They are clean dogs, no mess from them while left alone, only when they have had a upset tummy which cant be helped. Yes they do exercise of lead when we go to the park, when they get home they
go to the loo in the garden , then water then sleep for a while.
Food was a big issue they will only eat a handful of dry food. I have to pick out the green and yellow pieces - they have half dog food in jelly only not gravy with a pack of fresh liver or kidney or hearts that's at night. For breakfast, dry food and dog food. This is the only food they will eat, they were on fresh tripe but they got to big and over weight (they vet said).
I have to get a new floor in the kitchen, they are down to concrete now
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Tania

Okay - folks lots more information now! Any food experts out there? Could the protein levels be too high? Itching to pitch in, but there are people with a lot more behaviour knowledge than me who could make some suggestions. But I'm thinking these are two very attached dogs...

More info:
Hi Beverley
Just seen a few comments
Video footage is my next option but I have to get a camera may take a little time though.
Yes my dog walker is CRB checked and I have a copy of her certificate. I have her home address and I popped round unannounced!
Not sure about going down the route of a behaviourist again, how can they help when they only trash when they are on there own.
If it is a case of "just playing" how can I stop this? They have a box of toys which they have during the day, and only a few of them at night.
I have tried not to be so loving and distance myself from them a little bit but its hard we all need love and affection
Tania

Hi Tania
It is tricky sorting these probs – but it may be that you’ve not yet found the right behaviorist. Where are you based?
There are so many people calling themselves experts, it’s hard to spot the good from the bad and even the bad usually mean well!
You have shown considerable dedication in trying to solve these problems already. That’s half the battle - not giving up.
As to becoming less loving – don’t think that’s the key. It just maybe the boys are hooked on attention and even being bad puts them in the centre of things.
My instincts are they are enjoying being destructive and it may need channelling and being used as a reward.
It may be you get loads of cardboard boxes for them to trash as a reward, maybe a digging pit outside to get those urges out of their system.
I do think you probably need to look at the diet, there’s a lot of protein going on and that can influence behavior. There were some studies on some dogs that were only fed fresh meat and they changed so much when a more balanced diet was introduced. What were they like on tripe? Any different?
I have a feeling on a healthy lower protein diet these dogs could calm right down. You know how food can affects kids' behaviour, it’s more intense in dogs as we make all their decisions for them.
Fingers crossed we can find someone to help sort this
Cheers
Beverley

Hi Beverley
I am based in Langley - Berkshire, Nr Slough & Windsor
How many more behaviourists do I need to pay before I find the right one, money should not be a issue when it comes to my dogs but they have cost me hundreds of pounds believe me.
They won't touch cardboard boxes even if I play with them and try to make them chew them they won't chew in front of me at all. I have a large back garden they can dig if they want, but they don't like getting wet or dirty. If it rains outside they won't go out for a walk I have to pull them out even the dog walker comments if it's wet out they don't want to walk but want to go home. When they are in the garden, I shut them out to go to the loo the scratch the door to come back in. I think I will put them back on tripe, they loved it but got big and the vet said they were overweight but they did not behave like this.
Sometimes my emails sound negative, but I've tried loads of things. I will keep trying anything as I am sure they are not happy by the look on their faces when they have been bad.
Tania



I was not at work for 3 days then we had weekend off. My dogs we really good, on Friday I had workmen round to tile the floor in the kitchen.
On Saturday I went out for three hours and my husband took them out for a
walk for over a hour. They were shattered when they came back. We left them for 1 hour 20
mins came home to utter chaos they had chewed all the boxing-in work I had done, ripped off a
metal corner edge, chewed a hole in plaster board. Blood every where but I could not see where the blood came from - I checked them both.

We have now had no choice but to put them into a large cupboard, it's like a larder cupboard over the stairs. With a gate so they can see out. It is a large space I can walk into it
then it slopes down. It sounds bad, but we have no other choice if we want to keep them and I do. But we can not go on like this. I am so upset, yesterday all day they slept, so why can't they do that when we are not there?

Every week they cost us money, sometimes just a few pounds, replacing rugs or mats things like that I don't mind really but it is getting to much, I dread going home at times.

I am upset that they are unhappy.

I have more picture of the damage if you want them.

Thanks
Tania

Dogs Today Think Tank behaviourist Amy Hatcher has been to see Tania, Rocky and Rambo.
Here's an update.

Dear Beverley
Happy new year to you, things are going okay, I have been off work for two weeks so I have had time to spend with them and put into practice what Amy has told us to do.
Sometimes they are good, but still when we leave them Rambo does chew a little we still have not left them out to have to run of the house as Rambo pulled all the cushions of the sofa when I left him for 10 mins only.
Amy suggested putting tin foil on the sofa's which would stop them from jumping on them, I did this but came downstairs to find them curled up and asleep on the foil!
I have photos for Amy of this which I will get to her soon.
They do seem a lot more mellow this is a change of food I think, they still play as normal, but must admit they have calmed down
Today is the first time they will be left a full day in four weeks as I am at work and my husband is away until this weekend, so this week will tell.
All in all I think the change of food has made a difference, but like I said I don't think I can keep them out have the run of the house yet - which is our goal.
I will keep you informed
Thank you & Regards
Tania

19 comments:

  1. How did I know they'd be Staffs with names like that!

    They don't hate you, surely you don't really think that.

    I think anyone would need a lot more info than that to be able to help.
    Make sure you only use a proper APDT reg behaviourist, because, unbelievably - anyone can set themselves up as a behaviourist at the moment.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have Tanya's email address, we can ask questions. Please ask away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you got video footage of the dogs when left so you can actually see their behaviour. Is it anxiety or are they just having fun?

    If not this the first thing I would do(make sure the camera is set up well out of paws reach though!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dogs don't hate you - of course not - they love you.

    I think you need to find a behaviourist who won't recommned quick fixs such as sleeping pills and crates. Go to APBC as they are Behaviourists and not just trainers. Of course a good trainer may help but the APBC require pet behaviourial qualifications from their prospective members. Sadly vets are not always the best port of call to find the right person for your dogs.

    You could also visit, www.puppyschool.co.uk which is owned by Gwen Baily, an expert in dog behaviour who teaches others. There may be a puppy school near you. Don't be put off by the name, they help all ages of dogs.

    No dog should be left alone for more than four hours so I expect you walk your dogs at lunch time?

    Behaviour changes can take a long time - often months so be prepared to repeat the same steps you will be taught - for a long time.

    If you employ a dog walker or petsitter, check references by phoning recent clients, check insurance details, walk with the dogwalker and your dogs at least once. Ask to see the dogwalker's police check certificate or CRB certificate if they belong to a company.

    You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it possible that they are using this time to have fun you know when the cats away the mouse will play and get carried away or is it a case of boredom Ive had this problem with one of mine
    hes very easily bored and will trash the room if left I cant leave my two out together so one is crated when I go out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry if I'm duplicating any advice already given - have only 'skim' read it. Two immediate things stand out. First, I'm not sure how any of the behavourists you've seen so far have been able to accurately assess the problem without video footage. There are different reasons why the dogs may be being destructive (ie anxiety, fun) and different courses of action to take depending on the reason.
    Secondly - food. You mention having to 'pick out the green and yellow pieces' which would lead me to believe that you're feeding them something like Bakers? High in colourings and flavourings, it's like filling your kid's up with sweets and fizzy drinks and them going hyper. Tripe will put the weight on them. I feed a raw, natural diet, but appreciate this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I would at least switch them to a more natural premium kibble with no artificial additives. You may be quite surprised by the difference in them.

    Good luck :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree a behaviourist cannot work with a separation related problem if they have not seen the dogs actual behaviour when left. If they don't video it they are working on assumptions.

    It may even be only 1 dog doing the destruction.
    You cannot assume guilty looks mean the dog understands, knows its done wrong or is guilty. If you come home and your feeling annoyed because your house is destroyed. The dogs will read your body language and they will offer appeasement/calming signals to diffuse your annoyance. It does not mean they understand why you are annnoyed. They can just tell you are feeling angry and are trying to calm you.

    Also agree on the food, look for highly digestable meat protien. No additives, preservatives, colourants or sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Staffies need more than 30 minute walk mornings, this isn't long enough to get rid of enough energy. Will they chase a ball or frisby, throwing one of these will help.

    Dog proof your kitchen, put all chairs etc out of their reach so they can't chew them.

    Leave the radio on.

    Leave them things they can chew, quite a few of them so their won't be any fights. Make these as tasty as you can, stuffed kongs are good.

    DAP defuser doesn't always work, it didn't for one of my dogs, what does help is lavendar, I have an electric oil burner which I find helps.

    Staffies are people dogs, they don't like to be seperated from them amd will do everything they can to get back to their family. My rescue Staffy has just started this behaviour after being here 18 months. I make sure she can't get into my cupbards and have nothing out that she can attack but give her things she can attack.

    Cardboard boxes are wonderful for letting dogs destroy, the stronger the box the better. Destroying these will also make your dogs tired and hopefully they will then sleep. Destroyed cardboard is easy to get up when you get home, much better than furniture, carpets etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rocky and Rambo need to be treated as Dogs.
    Back to basics....proper food & diet & most importantly exercise.!! (even in the rain)
    Not just a run round the block together...they need seperate walks, so they are getting quality time with humans, rather than each other. You are very near me...there are fantastic walks in the area.
    The Dogs are getting into a habit of trashing the place...it provides the kind of stimulation this breed thrives on...shaking, tearing etc.
    Your house is their own personal play pen.
    One Dog doing it will encourage the other to join in, just by its actions.
    Sorry they sound like spoilt brats to me...who have found out thay can do as they like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely a dietary issue for a start if you are picking out coloured pieces, you must be feeding something along the lines of Bakers - full of colourants.

    Try something really low protein based, such as James Wellbeloved fish or Joe and Jacks perhaps. Nothing about 21% if possible.

    Wet food protein levels are normally very high once you take out the water content. For example, 10% protein on side of tin, but 80% water content - therefore the protein level is actually 50%!

    Echo Beverley about the dogs being bad because they still get attention.

    What about mental stimulation, not just physical? My collie is mental with walks only, but calms down with ball games (can tell you more if you want), agility, play sessions etc (though not tuggy as it encourages chewing and biting)

    you say you take them out for 30 mins in morning, dog walker an hour at lunch, and you again in evening. Doesnt sound like a huge amount of exercise to me, so maybe try doing more?

    Most importantly, your dogs do not hate you, they are not doing it to get at you, there is a reason behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I can only imagine the damage a pair of staffies could do in a chewing frenzy!

    I think the idea of a camera/web cam to determine the details of what is happening with the dogs can help to solve the mystery of who is doing it the most and if it is anxiety based. She may even find that there is a trigger of some kind happening when she is not home...alarms going off, construction in the vicinity of her home etc.

    I agree the diet needs to be more balanced. She has increased the exercise level which is good, she could also do short training sessions like doing puppy pushups etc to tire the dogs out (mental exercise can be just as tiring as physical exercise).

    IF it is SA, then some detaching needs to be done. I needed to ignore my girl for almost two days straight (all needs taken care of, but no treats, no affection, no sleeping with me etc) just to get her to the point of being able to work on behaviour modification. She now gets ignored for atleast ten minutes before I leave and the same when I return. This reduces the excitement/anxiety and stress cortisol levels in her. If I know I have to leave she gets her meals in treat balls and a kong or two, special music to play (Through a Dog's Ear) etc.

    It is unfortunate that after three behaviourists and the cost of replacing so much of her home that she is so against medication. IF this is SA, sometimes it is so severe that medication (usually clomipramine or an SSRI) is the only thing to reduce the anxiety to levels the dogs can be worked with. Anti anxiety medication is not only effective in many cases but can often be reduced or stopped after a period of behaviour modification. The stress on the dog's long term health (both emotional and physical) needs to be taken into account.

    The fact that the one time she said "Who did this?" caused them to submissively urinate speaks to the levels of anxieties these dogs are suffering from.
    _________________
    Maggi Burtt
    Tailspin Petworx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure this idea that low-protein diets make dogs calmer is right. My spaniel eats the BARF diet, which is a kind of doggie Atkins diet, very high-protein & quite high fat (raw meat, raw eggs, fat on meat, etc) and he is extremely laid back and calm.
    Maybe try them on a raw diet? Before I put my dog on a raw diet I tried the Baker's food and it was quite funny because my dog only ate certain colours, the ones he didn't like he picked out of the bowl and put on the floor.
    It may well have some ingredients that is making your dogs hyperactive.
    As for the exercise, in my view they are not getting nearly enough. 30 mins, for a staff type dog, is extremely little.
    If they had, say, an hour an a half's walk, with lots of free running (ball throwing, etc) at some point during the day they would be so whacked out they might sleep until you came home in the evening.
    I do think exercise is incredibly important. It's not just the running, but having a certain amount of time when they are out and about, meeting other dogs and people. It's very boring and isolated for dogs always to be at home - as it can be for people, too!
    It seems they have a huge amount of energy and have not got the opportunity to wear it off. They might also be a bit anxious and over-dependent on you.
    I don't think it is just one thing that is contributing to their behaviour.
    Maybe a good behaviourist will help.
    Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah but BARF is different. Not got the same preservatives etc in especially if you buy from somewhere like Landywoods.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also don't think BARF is as high protein as people assume - not if you allow for the water content, bone content etc But I wrote the initial comment about changing from what I assume to be Bakers and I'm still convinced that possibly the main problem is the colourants and other additives in the food, probably more so then the protein. Once (and only once!), when I first had my girl (in fact the first evening we were leaving her for a few hours) I left her with a stuffed kong and some sort of '1 hour' bone treat thing from Pedigree. It stated that it supplied '40% of your dogs daily energy requirements' No problem I thought, I just cut down her dinner. I didn't notice till later that most of this energy was from sugar and it contained additives. She was fine when we got home, but we woke the next morning to carnage - she'd shredded her bed, her blanket, two cushions and part of the wall!! She must have been on such a high from the 'bone' that she must have been bouncing off the walls - it is the ONLY time we have ever had a problem with her being destructive like this. Does anyone kow how Tania is getting on?

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are more important factors to a dog's food than low protein, that is only part of it, cereals and additives do a lot more damage to a dog than high protein.

    I don't know what you are feeding your dogs but if there is ANY cereal apart from rice in, change their food. The less ingredients the better.

    What I have found works with my dogs is lavender, it does seem to calm them more than anything else apart from exercise.

    A good run first thing in the morning should help with this problem, they don't need to be exercised seperately, together you can give them a lot more in the time you have available.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had a brainwave whilst answering a thread on our forum and thought I would share it with you to see if it would help. I think you should try making a video of yourselves and leaving it on loop while you are out, you can either be chatting together or read the dog a story. You could try and audio cd on loop if you can work the technical stuff but that side of things is beyond me.
    Good Luck
    Mutthouse (dfordog) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've just joined this blog and found this case so interesting I simply cannot ignore! Try not to look to much into this. Yes dietary does make a difference but some of the last comments are concentrating too much on it. Personally I would not recommend the BARF diet. A simple diet of 19% protein and nothing else will suffice - Skinners Field and Trial Maintanance is great! Secondly, without seeing the dogs myself, the dogs behaviour is more than likely stress related with not being properly separated as youngster. Also why provide cardboard boxes to chew - this only encourages chewing. How can a dog learn that its okay to chew up a cardboard box but not the shoebox on the side that contains your new expensive shoes! Prevention at this stage is your first port of call. The amount of money being spent in the house, I would invest in a proper dog kennel outside that is heated and comfortable and safe, then work on the problem. In the meantime, these dogs need lots of exercise plus mental stimulation. Give the dog a job, they become more relaxed. Hope this helps. A final note, yes there are some very bad trainers out there, letters after the name does not meant they are always to be trusted. Some still live in the past using harsh training methods. Ask for references, do more homework. Good luck, signed a caring trainer and behaviourist x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just a small suggestion, perhaps you could install a dog flap so the dogs can have access to the garden? You could make a special digging area for them where you put tasty treats, kongs and bones so they can dig to get to the treats. They could also have more space to play and they may feel less confined and anxious.

    ReplyDelete