May issue

May issue
May issue

Monday 17 November 2008

Naturally repellant

I am keen to find a natural supplement to give to my two Border Collies to help repel fleas and ticks. I have recently bought CSJ Billy No Mates which is great but one of my dogs will not eat it as it has Mint in. The smell puts him off totally. I have heard that Neem is very good, but I am finding it difficult to find out the best way to safely administer it. I also give my dogs other supplements, for example; G-Paws for joints and Beau Oil for coat and skin. I've even considered baking my own dog biscuits and adding Billy No Mates that way but I am unsure whether the cooking will devalue the strength of the supplement? Please can you advise on anything suitable for this problem.
Emma

Gosh - I must look up Billy No Mates, never seen that product before! Any one got any hints for Emma?

4 comments:

  1. I give my dogs neem treat sticks every day which not only help to keep fleas and ticks away but also act as a natural wormer. You can also buy a neem spray which you simply apply down either side of the dog before taking them out. These are all available from www.neemgenie.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fleas need to bite your dog before these products work, I use a zapper, I comb it through my dogs coats when I get home and any fleas or ticks are killed before they bite my dogs. I find this a much better way of keeping my dogs free of fleas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried garlic powder? I had a big tub from Crufts last year and not seen a flea since on any of my 4 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use 'Bug Off' which I buy online from Holistic Pet Supplies. It only needs to be applied to the coat once a week and ingredients include essential oils and neem. I also feed Dorwest Herbs' garlic tablets which my dogs eat whole with their meals quite happily.

    ReplyDelete