May issue

May issue
May issue

Thursday 27 November 2008

Can you calculate COIs?

While I love Apple Macs there are times when having one does mean you are discriminated against.

For example, I would very much like to be able to calculate the coefficient of inbreeding for a particular dog. If I lived in Sweden I simply could turn to the Swedish Kennel Club website and type in the name of the dog and instantly I would have the COI. Well I would be able to if I had a PC. Even Sweden isn't Mac friendly.

As our KC is not that evolved no matter what type of computer you have, I needed to source the software to calculate the COI.
Guess what - it's all PC-only!

So I have a choice - buy a new computer just to calculate
COI and the software. Or learn how to do cross platform stuff on my already creaky Mac - scary.
Or appeal through this blog for someone who might already have the software and a computer that can handle it to please, please, please calculate the
COI for this one particular dog.
We need to use the maximum number of generations as all the inbreeding seems to concentrate on the fourth generation onwards.
My manual research shows that 11 out of the 16 dogs in the 4
th generation are all line bred to three siblings! And of the remaining 5 dogs many of them feature one or other of those siblings parents.

Be very grateful for any help anyone can offer!If you manfacture COI software and could run this one out as an example we can give your product a plug for all those normal people who have PCs!
Do pass on if you know anyone who can help!

2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine who uses a mac found this site - http://mac.sofotex.com/download-134122.html

    It says it's suitable for a mac and the blurb does mention inbreeding coefficient. Any use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a look at this problem at the behest of my friend Mina. It's a very interesting problem. What I don't understand is why the Swedish KC web software won't run on a Mac. Do the incompatibilities really run that deep?

    ReplyDelete