May issue

May issue
May issue

Friday 14 May 2010

Is East Lindsay Council dog friendly?

We have lived in North Devon for the last five years and have found it to be the most dog friendly area we have ever found.
However, we will be moving to Lincolnshire soon, specifically in the East Lindsay Council District area and were extremely worried by how anti-dog they appear to be. We could not find a pub where the dog was allowed whilst we were having a meal and the overall impression was that they were very anti-dog. As our dog is a major part of our life it would be very disappointing if we moved and then found it unsuitable.
I wondered if anyone who lives in the area could let me know how they find it. We are looking at the area between Lincoln and the coast near to one of the market towns in a village, the nearer the coast the better.
Carol Scott, by email

I cannot help you with respect to this Council, but this did bring to mind one of my moans about going to pubs with dogs. As a non-smoker, I have been thrilled with the transformation inside pubs but when I want to sit outside, or if dogs are not allowed in the pub, then I am back to having to put up with other people’s smoke.
I particularly remember one beautiful summer’s evening whilst on holiday in Cornwall two years ago. We had had a wonderful day out and stopped at a pub on the way home for a drink before going back to the campsite for supper. Dogs were not allowed in the pub, and it was still too hot to leave them in the car. Unfortunately, the beer garden consisted of a walled area immediately outside the pub with tables in a row. We found ourselves sitting between two sets of smokers and we ended up beating a hasty retreat with dogs and children in tow because it simply was not pleasant nor healthy.
So often I have found myself sitting outside a pub with the dogs alongside smokers as if I am also a smoker. It really feels as if, as dog-owner, I am being tarred (awful pun!) with the same brush as a smoker yet surely we should be entitled to enjoy the fresh air outside as much as a smoke-free environment within the pub.
Mind you, I would really like to see an end to smoking in public places full-stop. Have you experienced walking through blue air to reach the main entrance of a hospital? Extraordinary!
Alison Logan, vet

No comments:

Post a Comment