May issue

May issue
May issue

Thursday 3 March 2011

Cross examining

I was wondering what others think about the implications of crossbreeds? Unfortunately when you cross two breeds, which seems to be the fashion nowadays, you effectively make a new breed. We did it to open up the gene pool for Berger Picards by crossing them with Greyhounds, as we have been trying to re-establish the breed for a long time now, but I will admit I opened up a bit of a Pandora's box like the chap who started Labradoodles has already said.

I only bred two litters, just to get breeding stock for the Picard breeding programme. I have now stopped it, as it didn’t solve our problems, because as soon as we bred back to the Picards, the problems came back as quick as they went away.

The Picardy Lurcher is a lovely healthy good-looking dog. The trouble is, although both the Picard and Greyhound are steady gentle dogs and both make good pets, as do Lurchers, once you cross these two breeds it seems to really fire up the working instinct (prey drive). In the offspring you get the intelligence of the Picard combined with the speed of the Greyhound. This is fine in an experienced working home and the cross is held in high esteem by people who are working them. Mine are only pets, but I am very experienced with dogs and originate from working stock myself you could say, so understand the mind of a working dog.

My point is the Picardy Lurcher is sound but it does have such a high prey drive it truly needs to only go to a working home and even then to experienced owners only. Although I was involved in the formation of this cross I do not wish it to become popular. From experience I believe we should leave pedigree breeds alone; we have enough breeds already. I would wish to inform others of the pitfalls of crossing two breeds.

Has anyone else come up against similar obstacles when crossing breeds? The Berger Picard is such a lovely breed and it would be a shame if it were lost. I should add that I have experienced both sides of the argument and am an accredited pet care professional, I just do not want to lose this breed and would love to know others’ comments.

Shirley Hitchman, by email

2 comments:

  1. Chances are the calcium supplement you are taking now is a rock source of calcium. The label will say "calcium carbonate", which is nothing more than limestone. AlgaeCal Plus contains an organic, plant-sourced calcium form derived from a unique South American marine algae called Algas Calcareas™.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, this sums up very nicely the issues of deliberatly cross breeding dogs. I can certainly sympathise with your desire to 'preserve' a breed which you adore. However, as you say, there are considerable downsides to producing 'cross breeds', especially when working or gaurding breeds are involved.
    As far as your situation is concerned, I don't have any experience of the breed, but your own assesment is that it is going to be unsuitable for all but a minority of owners. This can be said for many, many of the crosses I have seen advertised, many of them 'status dogs' and also for some purebreeds as well. Should you breed any dog, cross or not, when there is not a very reasonable expectation that good homes can be found for all the offspring?
    Unfortunatly, for a breed to survive it has to be adaptable at fitting in with modern life and expectations. I think you have to ultimatly look at what you want to achieve. Is there a demand for such a dog now there is a ban on hunting with dogs? Would it make a good performance dog instead? If there is no 'niche' for the breed, unfortunatly you might have no other option but to lose it.
    I'm just wondering, have you considered other sighthound crosses than Greyhounds?
    I have only praise for the responsible approach you are taking to this. Far too many 'designer' crosses are being produced with no thought as to what the offspring will be like or what welfare issues might be involved (poor temprements, excessive coats etc).

    ReplyDelete