May issue

May issue
May issue

Thursday 20 January 2011

How do I get my deaf dog's attention?


I have a Springer Spaniel called Molly who is coming up to 12 years old. I've had her for nearly five years. Over the last few months I have noticed that she can no longer hear the doorbell or people entering the house. Due to other health issues, which she takes medication for, she is on a special diet to control her weight.

Because of this weight issue, I have been told by the nurse at the vet's to keep her active, which I have been able to do for the last five years. But unfortunately it is now getting harder to let her off to play with her ball and run around due to her losing her hearing. The vet agrees that her hearing has nearly gone, if not completely gone.

I am teaching her hand signals and she now knows how to come back, but the problem is getting her attention when she is looking away from me. I'm considering a vibrating collar to get her attention, so that I can give her a hand signal to come back when she turns to look at me. Because of the lack of proper exercise due to her deafness, she is slowly putting the weight back on. This worries me as she has hip and leg problems, so she can't afford to pile the pounds back on.

What also concerns me is that every collar I've seen with a remote vibration setting also has a shock setting. I am completely anti shock-collar and I need one with just the vibration. The only one I ve seen is totally out of my price range - does anyone else have other recommendations?

Molly hasn't had a very good seven years prior to me having her, and it's great that she has a new lease of life. But this deafness is now affecting her life.

Please, please can you help with some advice, as I also worry about Molly's safety.

Tracey Topham and Molly Moo, by email

I wonder whether the collars with both remote vibration setting and shock setting can be used on vibration only. Then you would not have to use the shock setting.

It is so sad when a dog goes deaf. When my dear Border Collie Nan began to lose her hearing, I found it really upsetting that she might think I was no longer talking to her. There are of course other ways of showing how we care for our canine friends, and for the dog it must simply seem that the world is going quieter until it is a silent place. They do not, I hope, appreciate that the noisy world is ongoing as a human going deaf would.

For any dog going deaf, their safety is of paramount importance. We all know how deaf a dog with normal hearing can be when in pursuit of a rabbit, for example, and may have no regard for a danger which is fast approaching. With Nan, she did train up to hand signals when I realised that her hearing was failing but, as you say, they only work when the dog happens to be looking in your direction. Eventually, I did have to resort to an extending lead – I really dislike these leads with their clonky handles, but they are invaluable in those instances where you cannot let your dog off the lead for whatever reason but they still need exercise.

Molly’s weight problem is my major concern. To my repertoire of questions for owners of overweight dogs, I have recently added “… and is that hour’s exercise on or off the lead?” This is because an owner proudly told me last week that his overweight dog went for two hour-long walks every day. I could not understand why the weight reduction diet was not working (unless the owner was not admitting to titbits and other food sources) until the owner let slip that all the exercise was on the lead. There is a world of difference in energy output between an hour’s exercise off the lead (which for an overweight dog is realistically no more than a trot) and a plod at your owner’s walking pace, if not lagging behind. I am also an advocate of short frequent walks during the day for older dogs rather than a single long walk.

This is where an extending lead could really help you because Molly can feel as if she has freedom to explore but she would have the security of being on a lead still, and you would know that she was safe.

Depending on Molly’s other health problems and the medication she needs for them, it should be possible to keep her at a healthy weight but it will need constant vigilance on your part. Use your vet practice’s weight clinic – the nurse is running it to help you keep Molly at her ideal body condition, by taking into account the limitations on exercise because of her deafness and orthopaedic problems. As you quite rightly say, with her hip and leg problems she does not need to be carrying more weight than necessary.

Alison Logan, vet

3 comments:

  1. If she's running after a ball, doesn't she turn towards you when she's got it?
    If you are just walking with her, I would walk on, watching her to see when she turns her head, and then signal her back towards you, then keep on going in the same direction.
    If she's not running, then she and you need to clock up a bit of mileage to get her fit!
    My former spaniel went absolutely deaf at around that age but we used to still go on long walks, him off the lead. I'd just keep going and like all spaniels, he didn't want to lose sight of me for long.
    Maybe you need to go somewhere more open, not a small park, because she will be more likely to keep up with you if she doesn't know the place very well.
    If you are finding her recall has gone, I would make sure she's a bit hungry when you go out and then reward her with the odd treat when she comes back to you - maybe part of her dinner, if you give her kibble - as that really sharpens up the recall, even in old dogs.
    A behaviorist I know recommendsd making a fuss of deaf dogs in order to make them a bit more dependent on you, which means they will constantly be looking your way.
    That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope all goes well.
    Julia Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracey,
    Have a look at this newly formed website. The two ladies running it are very experienced indeed:

    http://thedeafdognetwork.webs.com/

    Also plenty of helpful advice on the DforDog forum deaf dog section

    http://dfordog.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=17

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you teach your dog to retrieve she can run after her ball as much as she likes as she will always turn back to you once she has it.

    Even if you decide to keep her on the lead, there are plenty of ways you can keep her active and fit without off lead exercise. Switch to a senior or maintanence diet if you are not already on one, and ensure you are not feeding her too much. The way to work it out is to feed her the amount for the weight she should be, not the weight she is. Unless you are feeding Burns I would feed around 10% less than the bag says as they are often very generous! Stop feeding her from a bowl and scatter her food around the garden so she has to use her nose to find it (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A12737586) which as a spaniel she should love! Play lots of games with her around the house and garden (http://www.healthyhappyoldies.org.uk/happy-oldies/entertainment), and when you walk her on the lead make sure to do some brisk walking - you are aiming not to be out of breath as you walk, and for her back legs to be moving independently as this will build muscle which will help with her weight.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete