May issue

May issue
May issue

Tuesday 2 November 2010

Just nightmares or something to really keep me awake?

Hi
Our rescue collie x working Cocker Spaniel, who is now 12, has recently started howling in his sleep. It has happened around six times in the last few months.
He seems absolutely fine during the day - still very lively and doesn't have any other different behaviour.
When he does howl, he does it only once and doesn't appear agitated or nervous (though he is a nervous dog generally), and then goes back to sleep.
Could he be having nightmares?
He had a full vet check fairly recently which stated he was in great physical shape.
I have just started him on skullcap and valerian tablets but these night howls started long before that.
Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on and how we can help him?
Thank you.
Alex

Alex
This may sound like an odd suggestion, but I'd be tempted to ask your vet if you could try Vivitonin. It's not a cheap drug, but I've found it a bit of a wonder drug for my older dogs. I believe it has a licence in Japan for Alzheimers prevention in people, but the effects it quickly has on older dogs is stunning - or it simply does nothing at all and you stop. You know in 14 days if it is worth continuing. This is going to sound very unscientific, but I think it puts the spring back into the red blood cells and when the oxygenated blood is flowing better every bit of the dog seems to gradually reawaken and it was certainly like turning back the years when I used in on my old Sally. She was on it for many years and when she died at 16 she had the coat and muscle tone of a very much younger dog. Before Vivitonin she'd become a very 'old' old dog. Didn't realise who much she'd changed until the pills kicked in. It was originally developed as a heart drug, but these 'positive' side effects changed it use.
The brain is one of the first areas to get the boost of what is in effect better blood supply and if these night terrors are age related, Vivitonin might just help. Pity they don't make it available for humans on the NHS! Could do with some today. But having seen what it does I'm tempted to start using Vivitonin on all my dogs when they start getting a little older.
Or your dog could indeed be having a recurring nightmare, and as to what you do to stop those I really don't know!
Beverley Cuddy, Editor

Like Beverley, I have had some quite stunning results in older dogs showing signs of senility with Vivitonin (Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health), whose active ingredient is propentofylline. It causes an increase in blood flow within the body, especially in the heart and muscles. This effect is also seen within the brain which therefore receives more oxygen without an increase in energy demand.
I call Vivitonin the geriatric pep pill because it can really rejuvenate an older dog who has become less responsive, lethargic and less willing to exercise. Your dog’s howling at night might well abate if you were to try giving him Vivitonin; even if it does not then there are still the other benefits for him. It is a Prescription-Only drug so you will need to consult your vet, especially as there are situations where one cannot prescribe Vititonin.
Both my Border Collies were on Vivitonin in their twilight years. My first border collie Nan developed urinary incontinence when she was twelve years old and I found that this vanished when I started her on Vivitonin – a very welcome side-effect!
Scullcap and valerian is a herbal remedy. I will be interested to hear if this helps your dog because it is usually given for anxiety and travel sickness.
Alison Logan, Vet

No comments:

Post a Comment