May issue

May issue
May issue

Wednesday 21 July 2010

Pack mentality

I have two Yorkie bitches age six years, both have been spayed at six months. I have had them since they were eight weeks old. When my husband and I retired last year we decided to get an addition to our pack and along came our eight-week-old Cocker Spaniel male puppy, Archie, on 28th Feb this year.
It started off the girls were a bit wary of him - the larger one (14lbs) Jodie was the first to play fight with him and the smaller (4lbs) Jessie stayed well away. This went on for a couple of weeks, and the girls loved the extra treats of little bits of chicken and sausage and scrambled eggs with their normal food (Royal Canin for Yorkies).
Yesterday, Jodie stopped eating and started hiding away from us all, I once found her sat facing the wall, and she gets out of the way when Archie is about. The incident which appears to be the turning point in her behaviour was when little Jessie approached Archie when he was having a snooze and started to ask him to play, bowing and jumping about as she used to do with Jodie and she allowed him to chase her about the room, Jodie who was sitting next to me on the sofa started to shake and shiver.
Having read lots of items on dog behaviour I thought she felt she has lost her position in the pack. My worry is what to do about it, I have tried comforting her and tried also to ignore her. How long will it take for them all to get along, am I
doing something wrong? I have tried to keep their routine the same and the amount of time and attention they receive. Any advice would be appreciated.
Christine Harrison, by email

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if your situation has anything to do with 'the pack' because dog packs are complex and positions are always changing within them. The situation is probably more about how the dynamics of the house have changed with the introduction of little Archie.
    I would manage the situation and not allow the dogs to play in-doors. This can help prevent any little accidents and damage to the dogs or your house. It's also a clear and easily enforced rule. 'Take your games outside'.
    For Jodie's behaviour, firstly it may be sensible to get Jodie checked by a vet first to rule out any health issues. Secondly get a qualified behaviourist to view the situation. Your vet can refer you. To find the cause I think an issue like this as to be seen from within your house. It sounds like you are doing the correct thing with them all but an apparently trivial incident could have caused this and be maintaining this. So after a health check get a professional in to view all parties.

    ReplyDelete