May issue

May issue
May issue

Monday 7 December 2009

Spray it again?

I went to a local dog training club recently with a relative and noticed a line of water sprayers on the trainer's desk. My relative's dog was getting stressed so I started blocking him from the source of anxiety. The trainer came over and told me that blocking wouldn't work and handed me a water spray! She told me to say 'no' and spray the dog's face. The dog was already stressed!
I looked around the room and saw a couple of other handlers using sprays. Whenever their dog barked they would say 'no' and spray. It was probably used as an interrupt rather that a punisher, but I just don't like the idea.
I know a lot of training clubs use them but can they work and what is the logic behind using them?
Tony Cruse, by email

4 comments:

  1. I'd be very shocked to see a trainer do this in a class situation! Although I know people who use sprayers on their dogs, it's not an avenue I want to go down. My dog would never forgive me!

    I also have issues with instructors using pebbles in a can in class situations. It scares the other dogs around as well as the one of which you are trying to interrupt the behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to classes run by 2 different people, and they both instructed owners to spray barking dogs. Presumably this only teaches dogs not to bark when their owner is sitting next to them with a spray? I would think a bark-activated collar was better as a last resort, since it is not associated with the owner. I found that I could often anticipate when my dogs were likely to bark in class, and instructed them to 'watch" me as an alternative behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the instructers mentioned above was APDT-approved, and the other was APBC-approved...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a horrible and outdated method.Trainers should be bought up to date and should not be training with these unecessary techniques. I would not submit my dogs in any cicumstances to this type of training. I would reccommend that you do not attend any more, as you already have better instincts and training than the people that run this class!

    ReplyDelete