May issue

May issue
May issue

Tuesday 13 October 2009

Too much exercise?

I bought Daisy, my five-year-old black Labrador when she was eight weeks old and for as long as I can remember we have been totally inseparable. Unfortunately I fear I may have overdone it with the exercise over the years. Is it possible to have done too much walking with her and what would be the consequences?
I was ill myself at the time and didn't work for many years. To help me cope I would walk and walk and of course Daisy always came with me. Most of the walking was on tarmac roads or hard surfaces. I think somedays we would go out for four to five hours at a time and the mileage would reach 15 miles at least. I hasten to add that this was not when she was a puppy, but started when she was about 18 months old.
However, I have now noticed she often quickly turns to try and 'bite' herself on her hip area and looks at me as if to say, 'Mummy I hurt there, but don't know what's wrong'. Sometimes when she is walking her rear end gives way for a second or so, and yet then carries on as if nothing has happened. If she walks on concrete for about an hour she starts to limp and in the evenings she licks her front paw pads. She is of average weight and is a very healthy, happy, fit dog. I give her cod liver oil capsules and a high strength flexible joint supplement containing glucosamine, omega 3 etc daily.
I have taken her to the vet who is very thorough usually, but he didn't see the need for X-rays. But I know my beautiful Daisy and something isn't right. Have I caused some damage by walking her too far, and if this is the case, is there anything I can do to rectify this? I am worried I have given her a bone problem and can't forgive myself.
Joanne Bedwell, by email

7 comments:

  1. Try not to be so hard on yourself Joanne - you are obviously a very caring owner. Instead of worrying about the past that you can't change, focus on getting to the bottom of what is bothering Daisy. Taking charge will make you feel better! YOU know your dog better than anyone, including your vet, so insist that her problems are investigated. Lameness and loosing control of her back legs (however briefly) DOES warrant investigation. Change vets / vets practice if necessary. I wish you both all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was only when they were up to a year old that you had to be careful not to overdo the exercise.
    Maybe she has arthritis, which Labs seem to suffer from, or some other ailment.
    I would get it checked out.
    Julia Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Claire M for your reply.I do feel terribly guilty as I love her more than anything and just want her to be as happy and content as possible.I know that dogs love exercise and she always ask to go out for a walk, but I am never sure what is classed as enough exercise. I have decided to visit another vets practice for a second opinion, especially as today her hind left leg gave way two times within minutes of leaving the house.
    thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely agree with Claire. Don't be hard on yourself, you are being a great owner by investigating the issues. Could her pads be sore from walking too much - I know my dog has very tough pads, but she licks her paws a lot after long walks?

    Good luck getting it sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine Bailey14 October 2009 at 05:55

    I agree - she needs checking out, and it does warrant x-rays - it could be a hip or spinal problem! I would also, if she were mine, ask for a referral to a canine chiropractor. You might find that, once you have a diagnosis, hydrotherapy will help strengthen her, and if she is in pain, acupuncture is brilliant!

    As you gradually increased her exercise from eighteen months, then that should be fine - after all, Labs are working dogs! Of course you restrict exercise for young puppies, and you obviously did this, so don't go beating yourself up now. It isn't your fault!

    When I got my second Airedale, Ben, he was 19 months old, and I was told his owner was an enthusiastic cyclist. Sometimes she apparently rode twenty miles, with the puppy running behind - obviously she knew no better. Ben does have hip dysplasia, but it isn't severe, and I'm sure owes at least something to this early stress on his joints. Hydro keeps him strong and mostly pain free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My terrier has hip dysplasia, and I was told by my vet that as long as his weight is good he should be able to walk all day with no problems. This has been proved as I am now a dog walker, and he often gets four walks a day, plus the days we go out and stay out all day.

    I would press on with your vet, or go on a day when a different vet is in! It took me 6 months before I was offered an xray as Fred is not the usual breed to get HD, and then had to wait another 6 months for a second xray to compare.

    Once you know what the problem is, if there is one, you can adapt your walking routine to suit.

    And remember that *you* have not caused any damage to your dog, no matter what the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to thank you all for your comments and advice.I have been worrying and blaming myself for some months now and do feel much more reassured due to reading your opinions, so thank you!It is the first time I have ever taken part in a "blog" before and it is so nice to know that there any many dog lovers out there who are a "breed apart" with help and advice for all us fellow doggy people!
    I have since seen an alternative vet(yes I made an appointment when the other vet wasnt there!), and Daisy is due to have xrays later this week, the vet also felt she had some arthritis in the hip area but her paws are fine and apart from the arthritis query she is otherwise a very fit and healthy dog and slightly below average weight.As you all must feel the same with regards to wanting the best for our animals,you can imagine I feel relieved in the knowledge that this is now going to be looked into.I cant understand why certain vets are so much more thorough and willing to listen to the animal's owners concerns and will act accordingly, whereas some I have come across seem to want you out of the door as quick as possible!
    Thank you once again.
    Joanne.

    ReplyDelete