May issue

May issue
May issue

Friday 25 September 2009

Night lights needed

I am finding that walking my gorgeous black pup in the evening is proving increasingly tricky. I can't see her if she runs too far ahead and on the bits of our walk where we are near the road, cars struggle to see both of us as nearly everything in my wardrobe is black, too!
What can I use to help us stand out? And is there anything I can use to help us to continue to enjoy a game of fetch at night? I'm aware that darker mornings and evenings could significantly lessen our chances of having a good game.
Please brighten up our lives! What fun things have you found that we can wear/play with?
Georgina Blaire, Halifax

I have the same problem when walking our black Labrador in the early hours of dark mornings. In fact, for me it is a sign of impending winter when the reflective gear has to be worn.
I wear the reflective belt I used to wear when cycling in the dark. It has a waist band with a band running up from the front, over one shoulder to re-join the waist band at the back. Now, you can also buy high visibility tabards to wear over outer clothing, which are even more effective.
I always carry a torch but never have it turned on because I like my eyes to become dark-adapted. If I hear a vehicle approaching, then I do turn it on and point it in the direction of the vehicle to reinforce my presence!
I must confess that I do also look on my torch as some means of self-defence. I go through phases of chickening out of walking in the dark, even though I have my trusty canine friend with me. As for walking in the dark when it is foggy…
There are now all manner of safety items for dogs to wear when it is dark, or in that awkward half light of early morning or dusk. They range from high visibility collar and leads to LED collars.
Pippin sports a reflective, high visibility collar and lead. Her original set was black with white reflective stripes but sadly that went astray so she now has a fluorescent yellow, high visibility set. Attached to the collar is a special tag: it is a shallow cube which has a fluorescent yellow patch on one side and a light source which I switch on before we set off. It is very interesting to watch the light and follow what she is doing, when I am sure she thinks her activities are hidden under cover of darkness!
I think it is very important to consider the safety of yourself and your dog when light conditions are poor. Facing oncoming traffic is generally recommended, because your face will be more apparent when vehicles’ lights illuminate it. I would, however, think about trying to ensure that your dog is walking on the verge side of the road, ie you will have to walk your dog on the ‘wrong’ side of your body, on your right side.
Take care!
Alison Logan, Vet

4 comments:

  1. There are lots of flashing collars, high vis dog coats and even flashing balls! Most pet stores have a good selection. Good old Aldi supermarket have cheap flashing bands [pack of two supposed to be for cyclists] that also make great lightweight dog collars. The lights are very visible as they go all the way around. Wear something yourself too then the dog can work out excatly where the ball is being thrown from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Further to the post regarding reflective items for your dog,Dogmatic are delighted to introduce their revolutionary new Reflective Range.

    Get noticed with our new High Visibility Range. Ensure both you and your dog are safe and visible. Offering perfect security in the dark, our unique Reflective Range has a choice of yellow or pink reflective material embedded into our high quality leather.
    We are offering a safe and secure walk whilst having complete control of your dog.
    Our smart Reflective Range includes our Dogmatic Headcollar, Buckle Collars, Trigger Hook and Training Leads that can be used individually or bought as a complete first class safety set.
    We are offering our Customers a smart, sophisticated Range with the bonus that not only does it do the job but that there is nothing like it out there! Orders being taken now!
    For further details please contact us on 01652 657922

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doggie solutions do a flashing ball:

    http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/flashing-blinky-ball-6882-0.html as well as Orvis:

    http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=9L67&dir_id=1633&cat_id=10561&subcat_id=10562&Group_ID=10563

    And orvis do a LED collar light and frisbee:

    http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=9L65

    http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=56CA

    ReplyDelete
  4. These Coloured Pet Blinkers http://www.dfordog.co.uk/acatalog/dog_walkies_travel.html emit a highly visible light strobe, activated by a small button on the side of the barrel. These Flipo LED pet lights are top quality, waterproof and visible up to half a mile. The Pet Blinker is easily attached to a dog or cat's collar, lead or harness with the stainless steel lightweight trigger clasp.

    Also, the range of EzyDog collars, leads and harnesses have reflective piping throughout for enhanced visibility at night.

    http://www.dfordog.co.uk/acatalog/ezydog_dog_collar_lead.html

    http://www.dfordog.co.uk/acatalog/ezydog_dog_harness.html

    ReplyDelete