May issue

May issue
May issue

Monday 13 July 2009

Dead matter

My five-year-old Labrador found a dead bird in the garden full of maggots and ate some of it before I could get it off her. She thought it would be a great game if I chased her round the garden with it dangling from her mouth!
However, I am now concerned that comsuming some of the maggots may cause her harm. Should I take her to the vet?
Vicky Harris, by email

Richard Allport, alternative vet, advises:
Yes, this has happened to me too. One of my Bedlingtons once found a decaying blackbird corpse dripping with juicy maggots and insisted on swallowing the entire carcass, maggots and all. She was fine, it’s the natural instinct of a scavenging species like canines, and it was a free meal after all! No reason why dead birds, or maggots, are particularly likely to cause any problems apart from a mildly upset stomach at the worst. This sort of behaviour might upset our human sensibilities but is no cause for alarm as far as our dogs are concerned.

2 comments:

  1. If only dead birds were the only thing my dog ate!

    Personally, I would watch the dog. If it seems fine, let it have enjoyed its experience. It has probably saved you 25p on dog food! Although you may have to fork out for extra wormer I guess.

    If it helps, my dog has eaten rotting hare carcus, rotting fox, dried frog.. um, I think that's all in the dead body domain. I won't mention types of poo that have been enjoyed. Not to mention vomit (which I know is not good, especially if alcohol induced, but intoxicating elements must have evaporated). Oh and mouldy old food, dehydrated food, frozen food, nuts and raisins, grapes (yes I know), peppers, kiwis, pears, carrots, sesame seeds... now it's getting boring.

    What I'm saying is, dogs eat loads of junk all the time. My personal approach is watch the dog. If it seems fine, great. If the "matter" passes through or comes back up but the dog seems pretty much ok, watch more carefully. If the dog is really really rough, phone vet for advice. Unless dog has eaten something you know to be poisonous like chocolate or actual poison (slug pellets, rat bait etc). Then obviously call vet straight away.

    But if you are worried, a call to the vet will put your mind at rest and you will know for next time! We only learn by asking. I am embarrassed by the number of times I phone my vet, but how else do you find these things out?!

    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Love the answer above):o)

    Just a tip Vicky - don't chase your dog when she picks up something you don't want her to have, It's even more fun being chased. I would call her in an excited happy tone & run in the opposite direction, she's likely to follow you & you can swap the unwanted item for something safer.
    That works with my Staffie bitch anyway

    ReplyDelete