May issue

May issue
May issue

Friday 26 December 2008

What's your best tip?

Have you go something in your cupboard that you swear by? Is there something someone has recommended to you that has really impressed you?
For example, what's your best tip for a dog with an upset tum?
Have you ever used Thorn-it? If so, what for? Magnetic collars? Stumbled on a great treat?
Why not share you top tips here!
I'll kick it off with one of mine...
Crazy Dog Grooming spray.
Before I discovered I lived just around the corner from the dog groomer of the year, I used to buy Crazy Dog Grooming spray in bulk! This magical spray seemed to make the comb fly through the knots.
What's your best buy and why?
Beverley, Editor

There's a lavender-based horse detangler by NAF Care that's stunning for
dogs, btw - and much better value than any dog detangler. TH Whites sell it
- £7.50 for a big spray bottle. We use it to give us a fighting chance to
de-burr the dogs during the SPBS (Salisbury Plain Velcro Season).
Jemima Harrison

What’s your best tip?
My Labrador has always been a great one for rolling in fox muck. It is not just the shoulder but the whole dog. Not only does she always seem to choose a cold day when I would not be choosing to bath her, but you can also guarantee that time is in short supply with other pressing tasks! Not only is it unpleasant aesthetically, but the smell is simply awful! There is also the risk of sarcoptic mange, which Pippin has had once.
The best way to eliminate the smell, which seems to linger even after thoroughly bathing, is to rub in tomato ketchup. Go for the cheapest you can find, and apply it liberally. Honestly, it is very effective (thankfully!).
Alison Logan, vet

6 comments:

  1. I could not live without my tennis ball thrower for my collie x or my new furminator which is slowly getting rid of all the excess hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My training leads - double ended with rings all down the lead in different positions. I've used them clipped nearly every which way (including to myself so I don't drop them!), from big dogs to little dogs and wouldn't know what to do with a 'normal' lead these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Barjo dog guard combined with a Barjo tailgate guard, which I can padlock shut. It makes me feel much better leaving him in the car in a strange town because it looks wonderfully secure. It isn't actually completely secure, but that doesn't matter because a dog thief wouldn't really want to tackle all the fiddly screws and lever it out to extract the dog because it might attract too much attention - and take too much time. My dog loves it and settles down straight away.
    It saved his life last summer when a car ran into the back of us. The chassis of our car buckled but the guards were as good a new. The dog was surprised but unharmed.
    Hope it's OK to mention the name. It's a family firm and all is made to order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always find that the trigger hooks on dog leads become stiff after a while. The solution for this is to spray a little silicone furniture polish such as Mr Sheen into the hole, polish off the excess with a soft cloth and then work the mechanism a few times to distribute the spray.

    The trigger hook is then much easier to operate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cut up a flea collar & put a small piece in your vacuum cleaner (reseal the remainder)
    It will kill off any fleas or eggs that may hatch out in the cosy warmth of the fluff.
    Don't forget to replace it when you empty the vac.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Staffie rolls in fox poo & there is NO WAY to get rid of the smell.
    I know tomato sauce is recommended, but do you apply after washing & rinsing the area? Do you wash it straight off?

    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete